At least 35 killed in New Year gun attack at Istanbul nightclub
At least one gunman shot his way into an Istanbul nightclub packed with hundreds of New Year’s revellers on Sunday, killing 35 people and wounding more than 40 in what the provincial governor described as a terrorist attack.
One assailant shot a police officer and a civilian as he entered the Reina nightclub before opening fire at random inside, Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said at the scene. Some reports suggested there were multiple attackers.
“A terrorist with a long-range weapon … brutally and savagely carried out this attack by firing bullets on innocent people who were there solely to celebrate the New Year and have fun,” Sahin told reporters.
The attack again shook Turkey as it tries to recover from a failed July coup and a series of deadly bombings in cities including Istanbul and the capital Ankara, some blamed on Islamic State and others claimed by Kurdish militants.
The club, one of Istanbul’s most iconic, popular with locals and foreigners alike, overlooks the Bosphorus Strait separating Europe and Asia in the city’s cosmopolitan Ortakoy district.
Around 500 to 600 people were thought to have been inside when the gunman opened fire at around 1:15 am (2230 GMT), broadcaster CNN Turk said. Some jumped into the waters of the Bosphorus to save themselves and were rescued by police.
US President Barack Obama, on vacation in Hawaii, expressed condolences and directed his team to offer help to the Turkish authorities, the White House said.
Sahin said there was only one attacker but other reports, including on social media, suggested there may have been at least two, dressed in Santa Claus costumes which they later ditched.
The Hurriyet newspaper cited witnesses as saying there were multiple attackers and that they shouted in Arabic.
“We were having fun. All of a sudden people started to run. My husband said don’t be afraid, and he jumped on me. People ran over me. My husband was hit in three places,” one club-goer, Sinem Uyanik, told the newspaper.
“I managed to push through and get out, it was terrible,” she said, describing seeing people soaked in blood and adding that there appeared to have been at least two gunmen.
- बिद्रोही माल्कोट, जहाँ दमनका कुनै औजार स्विकार्य हुँदैनन
- मकवानपुरमा उम्मेद्वारका घरमा वम विष्फोट, वुथकेन्द्रमा दोहोरो गोली चल्यो
- चीनको ड्रिम प्रोजेक्ट वन वेल्ट वन रोडमा अमेरिका सहभागी, संकटमा भारत
- बम विष्फोटसंगै उम्मेद्वार नियन्त्रणमा
- दोलखाका दुई निर्वाचन केन्द्रमा झडप, मतदाता त्रसित
- एक मतको झिनो अन्तरले काँग्रेस उम्मेद्वार विजयी
- गृहजिल्ला चितवनमै प्रचण्डका उम्मेद्वार विप्लवको कब्जामा
- कमरेड प्रचण्ड टेक केयर, जाँदा–जाँदै छोरीलाई मेयर
- आफ्नै पार्टीले मेयरमा १ हजार मत ल्याउँदा सुन्तलीकी आमालाई ६ हजार मत
- वन बेल्ट वन रोडको सफलतापछि छिमेकीप्रति अनुदार बन्दै भारत
- जन्मदेव जैसी, काठमाडौं, नेपाल कम्युनिष्ट पार्टीका स्थायी समीति सदस्य धर्मेन्द्र बास्तोलाले कालिकोटे जनताको प्रतिरोधमा नेपाली...
- चितवन, भरतपुर महानगरपालिकाको जारी मतगणनामा एमाले उम्मेदवार देवी ज्ञवालीले माओवादी-कांग्रेस गठवन्धनका उम्मेदवार रेणु दाहाललाई...
- भरतपुर, भरतपुर महानगरपालिकामा एमालेका देवी ज्ञवाली र माओवादी केन्द्रकी रेणु दाहालको मतान्तर फराकिलो बन्दै...
- काठमाडौं, राष्ट्रपति विद्या भण्डारीले दोस्रो चरणको चुनावमा पनि नेपाली सेना परिचालन गर्न स्वीकृति दिएकी...
- काठमाडौं, काठमाडौं महानगरपालिकामा अहिलेसम्म ९६ हजार मतगणना सकिएको छ। सोमबार दिंउसो सवा १ बजेसम्म...