At least 35 killed in New Year gun attack at Istanbul nightclub
At least one gunman shot his way into an Istanbul nightclub packed with hundreds of New Year’s revellers on Sunday, killing 35 people and wounding more than 40 in what the provincial governor described as a terrorist attack.
One assailant shot a police officer and a civilian as he entered the Reina nightclub before opening fire at random inside, Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said at the scene. Some reports suggested there were multiple attackers.
“A terrorist with a long-range weapon … brutally and savagely carried out this attack by firing bullets on innocent people who were there solely to celebrate the New Year and have fun,” Sahin told reporters.
The attack again shook Turkey as it tries to recover from a failed July coup and a series of deadly bombings in cities including Istanbul and the capital Ankara, some blamed on Islamic State and others claimed by Kurdish militants.
The club, one of Istanbul’s most iconic, popular with locals and foreigners alike, overlooks the Bosphorus Strait separating Europe and Asia in the city’s cosmopolitan Ortakoy district.
Around 500 to 600 people were thought to have been inside when the gunman opened fire at around 1:15 am (2230 GMT), broadcaster CNN Turk said. Some jumped into the waters of the Bosphorus to save themselves and were rescued by police.
US President Barack Obama, on vacation in Hawaii, expressed condolences and directed his team to offer help to the Turkish authorities, the White House said.
Sahin said there was only one attacker but other reports, including on social media, suggested there may have been at least two, dressed in Santa Claus costumes which they later ditched.
The Hurriyet newspaper cited witnesses as saying there were multiple attackers and that they shouted in Arabic.
“We were having fun. All of a sudden people started to run. My husband said don’t be afraid, and he jumped on me. People ran over me. My husband was hit in three places,” one club-goer, Sinem Uyanik, told the newspaper.
“I managed to push through and get out, it was terrible,” she said, describing seeing people soaked in blood and adding that there appeared to have been at least two gunmen.
- ‘परमाणु आक्रमणका लागि तयार छौं’-उत्तर कोरिया
- ‘मधेसी पहाडेवीच झगडा गराउने एमाले ‘चुतिया’हरुको पार्टी हो’: देउवा
- अकुत सम्पत्ति कुम्ल्याएको आरोपमा विशेष अदालतमा मुद्दा जारी,महानगरमा वढुवा
- बालकृष्णलाई हतकडी र प्रचण्ड–बावुरामलाई मनपरी कसरी हुन्छ ?
- बन्ने भयो नयाँ सरकार, माओवादीको प्रस्तावमा एमाले सहमत
- कैलालीमा निर्वाचन आयोगका सामान कव्जा गरि कसले जलायो ?
- ‘राष्ट्रपति भण्डारीमार्फत नेपाललाई भारतको चेतावनी’-भारतीय मिडिया
- ट्रम्पको सैन्य रणनीति : हिट एण्ड रन
- एमालेको घोषणा पत्रः ‘एक घर एक रोजगार’
- इज्जत के हो ? सम्मान के हो ? मोदीलाइ थाहा रहेनछ !
- काठमाडौं: सरकारले दुई चरणमा स्थानीय तहको चुनाव गर्ने निर्णय गरेको छ । मन्त्रिपरिषदको आइतबार...
- काठमाडौं: सरकारले वैदेशिक रोजगारीमा जान भिसा प्रोसेसिङ गरेका युवालाई पुनर्निर्माणमा खटाउने भएको छ ।...
- काठमाडौं: प्रधानमन्त्री प्रचण्ड पूर्वनिर्धारित क्याबिनेट बैठक केहीबेरका लागि रोकेर एमाले अध्यक्ष केपी ओलीसँग छलफल...
- पोखरा: मुस्ताङमा शनिबार भएको बस दुर्घटनाका घाइतेलाई उपचार नगरी फर्काएको भन्दै आन्दोलनरत चिकित्सकलाई स्थानीयले...
- काठमाडौँ: मधेसी मोर्चासँग भएको सहमति अनुसार संविधान संशोधन प्रस्ताव परिमार्जन गर्न मन्त्रिपरिषद् बैठक बस्दैछ...