At least 35 killed in New Year gun attack at Istanbul nightclub
At least one gunman shot his way into an Istanbul nightclub packed with hundreds of New Year’s revellers on Sunday, killing 35 people and wounding more than 40 in what the provincial governor described as a terrorist attack.
One assailant shot a police officer and a civilian as he entered the Reina nightclub before opening fire at random inside, Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said at the scene. Some reports suggested there were multiple attackers.
“A terrorist with a long-range weapon … brutally and savagely carried out this attack by firing bullets on innocent people who were there solely to celebrate the New Year and have fun,” Sahin told reporters.
The attack again shook Turkey as it tries to recover from a failed July coup and a series of deadly bombings in cities including Istanbul and the capital Ankara, some blamed on Islamic State and others claimed by Kurdish militants.
The club, one of Istanbul’s most iconic, popular with locals and foreigners alike, overlooks the Bosphorus Strait separating Europe and Asia in the city’s cosmopolitan Ortakoy district.
Around 500 to 600 people were thought to have been inside when the gunman opened fire at around 1:15 am (2230 GMT), broadcaster CNN Turk said. Some jumped into the waters of the Bosphorus to save themselves and were rescued by police.
US President Barack Obama, on vacation in Hawaii, expressed condolences and directed his team to offer help to the Turkish authorities, the White House said.
Sahin said there was only one attacker but other reports, including on social media, suggested there may have been at least two, dressed in Santa Claus costumes which they later ditched.
The Hurriyet newspaper cited witnesses as saying there were multiple attackers and that they shouted in Arabic.
“We were having fun. All of a sudden people started to run. My husband said don’t be afraid, and he jumped on me. People ran over me. My husband was hit in three places,” one club-goer, Sinem Uyanik, told the newspaper.
“I managed to push through and get out, it was terrible,” she said, describing seeing people soaked in blood and adding that there appeared to have been at least two gunmen.
- ‘माओवादीलाई पुन: जंगल पठाउने खेल सुरु भयो’-प्रचण्ड
- ‘५१ प्रतिशतभन्दा बढि क्याम्पसमा अखिल क्रान्तिकारीको जित सुनिश्चित छ’-डि.बि साउँद
- ‘उपत्यकाका सबै क्याम्पसमा अखिलको झण्डा गाड्छौं’ – दिपेश प्रसाईं
- “कर्मचारी मात्रै होइन सेवाग्राहीका समस्यामा समेत चनाखो हुन्छौं”
- थवाङमा नेकपा माओवादीको ८ औं महाधिवेशनको बन्दसत्र सुरु
- उमेर घटाएर चुनाव लड्न भर्ना भएकाहरु बढारिन्छन्-कपिल सिजापती
- राधाकृण मौनालीको खुलासा-‘लोडसेडिङ्गको प्रमुख पात्र हुन्,माधव नेपाल’
- सीके राउत जन्माउने को हो, सीआइए किन मधेशमा द्वन्द चाहान्छ ?
- ‘स्ववियूको अपरिहार्यता किन ?’
- ‘राष्ट्रवादी शक्तिसँग क्रान्तिकारीले एलाइन्स पनि गर्न सक्छ’ – दिपेन्द्र चलाउने
- आराध्यदेव भगवान् शिवको पूजा–आराधना गरी आज नेपालभर महाशिवरात्रि पर्व मनाइँदैछ । पशुपति क्षेत्र लगाएत देशभरका...
- काठमाडौं, महाशिवरात्रि पर्व आराध्यदेव भगवान शिवको पूजा–आराधना गरी आज नेपालभर मनाइँदैछ । शिवजी उत्पत्ति भएको...
- काठमाडौं- स्थानीय तहको निर्वाचन कार्यतालिका सार्वजनिक भएसंगै कक्षा ११ को परीक्षा प्रभावित हुने भएको...
- काठमाडौं, नेपाल कम्युनिस्ट पार्टीको आज बिहान बसेको नवगठित केन्द्रिय समितिको पहिलो बैठक बसेको छ...
- काठमाडौं, नेपाल प्रहरीका २० प्रहरी नायव महानिरीक्षक (डीआईजी)को सरुवा भएको छ । गृहमन्त्रालयले सोमबार...