At least 35 killed in New Year gun attack at Istanbul nightclub
At least one gunman shot his way into an Istanbul nightclub packed with hundreds of New Year’s revellers on Sunday, killing 35 people and wounding more than 40 in what the provincial governor described as a terrorist attack.
One assailant shot a police officer and a civilian as he entered the Reina nightclub before opening fire at random inside, Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said at the scene. Some reports suggested there were multiple attackers.
“A terrorist with a long-range weapon … brutally and savagely carried out this attack by firing bullets on innocent people who were there solely to celebrate the New Year and have fun,” Sahin told reporters.
The attack again shook Turkey as it tries to recover from a failed July coup and a series of deadly bombings in cities including Istanbul and the capital Ankara, some blamed on Islamic State and others claimed by Kurdish militants.
The club, one of Istanbul’s most iconic, popular with locals and foreigners alike, overlooks the Bosphorus Strait separating Europe and Asia in the city’s cosmopolitan Ortakoy district.
Around 500 to 600 people were thought to have been inside when the gunman opened fire at around 1:15 am (2230 GMT), broadcaster CNN Turk said. Some jumped into the waters of the Bosphorus to save themselves and were rescued by police.
US President Barack Obama, on vacation in Hawaii, expressed condolences and directed his team to offer help to the Turkish authorities, the White House said.
Sahin said there was only one attacker but other reports, including on social media, suggested there may have been at least two, dressed in Santa Claus costumes which they later ditched.
The Hurriyet newspaper cited witnesses as saying there were multiple attackers and that they shouted in Arabic.
“We were having fun. All of a sudden people started to run. My husband said don’t be afraid, and he jumped on me. People ran over me. My husband was hit in three places,” one club-goer, Sinem Uyanik, told the newspaper.
“I managed to push through and get out, it was terrible,” she said, describing seeing people soaked in blood and adding that there appeared to have been at least two gunmen.
- ने.वि.संघ र कुलपतिले चुनाव विथोल्ने आशंका छ: पूर्णबहादुर सिंह
- “युवा संघ मधेस गयो, राजेन्द्र महतो दिल्ली पसे”-राजिव पहारी (अध्यक्ष, युवा संघ, नेपाल)
- छात्राहरूमाथि दुर्व्यवहार गर्ने सहचालकलार्इ सार्वजनिक अपराधको मुद्दा
- फाल्गुन १ गते थवाङमा डेढ लाख जनता उतार्ने विप्लव माओवादीको घोषणा
- विप्लव माओवादीको कालोमोसो सर्वोच्चद्धारा सदर
- ‘नमुना’ विकास र राजनीति विकेन्द्रिकरणको लागि दस्ताबेज हुनसक्छ – पवन मदुश्री
- मोदी-मुखर्जी आउँदा विदा दिन मिल्ने, राष्ट्र निर्माताको सम्मान गर्न नमिल्ने ?
- एमाले बैठकमा सनसनीपूर्ण खुलासा: वैशाखदेखि सशस्त्र संघर्ष थाल्ने योजना ‘रअ’को योजना
- ‘संसद्वादी नेतृत्व स्वतन्त्र नभई निर्देशित भयो’ -विप्लव
- लोकमानका लागि ‘प्रधानमन्त्री’ बन्न वा राजनीति गर्न पाउने बाटो खुल्लै
- काठमाडौं, चीनले श्रीलंकामा सुरु गरेको वृहत लगानीको प्रोजेक्टमा सामेल हुन भारतलाई सुझाव दिएको छ...
- काठमाडौं, पाकिस्तानका रक्षामन्त्री ख्वाजा असिफले भारतलाई कडा धम्की दिएका छन् । यस अघि भारतले...
- काठमाडौं, २०५९ असोज १८ गते टेक ओभर मार्फत निरंकुश सत्ता हातमा लिएका तत्कालिन राजा...
- काठमाडौं, राष्ट्रिय पुनःनिर्माण प्राधिकरणको प्रमुख कार्यकारी अधिकृतबाट हटाइएका सुशील ज्ञवालीले गैरकानुनी र बदनियतपूर्ण रुपमा...
- काठमाडौं, त्रिभुवन विश्वविद्यालयका शिक्षाध्यक्ष डा सुधा त्रिपाठीले तीन दिनभित्रमा स्वतन्त्र विद्यार्थी युनियन (स्ववियु) निर्वाचनको...