At least 35 killed in New Year gun attack at Istanbul nightclub
At least one gunman shot his way into an Istanbul nightclub packed with hundreds of New Year’s revellers on Sunday, killing 35 people and wounding more than 40 in what the provincial governor described as a terrorist attack.
One assailant shot a police officer and a civilian as he entered the Reina nightclub before opening fire at random inside, Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said at the scene. Some reports suggested there were multiple attackers.
“A terrorist with a long-range weapon … brutally and savagely carried out this attack by firing bullets on innocent people who were there solely to celebrate the New Year and have fun,” Sahin told reporters.
The attack again shook Turkey as it tries to recover from a failed July coup and a series of deadly bombings in cities including Istanbul and the capital Ankara, some blamed on Islamic State and others claimed by Kurdish militants.
The club, one of Istanbul’s most iconic, popular with locals and foreigners alike, overlooks the Bosphorus Strait separating Europe and Asia in the city’s cosmopolitan Ortakoy district.
Around 500 to 600 people were thought to have been inside when the gunman opened fire at around 1:15 am (2230 GMT), broadcaster CNN Turk said. Some jumped into the waters of the Bosphorus to save themselves and were rescued by police.
US President Barack Obama, on vacation in Hawaii, expressed condolences and directed his team to offer help to the Turkish authorities, the White House said.
Sahin said there was only one attacker but other reports, including on social media, suggested there may have been at least two, dressed in Santa Claus costumes which they later ditched.
The Hurriyet newspaper cited witnesses as saying there were multiple attackers and that they shouted in Arabic.
“We were having fun. All of a sudden people started to run. My husband said don’t be afraid, and he jumped on me. People ran over me. My husband was hit in three places,” one club-goer, Sinem Uyanik, told the newspaper.
“I managed to push through and get out, it was terrible,” she said, describing seeing people soaked in blood and adding that there appeared to have been at least two gunmen.
- भारतीय सन्देशपछि कठिन खेलमा देउवा, प्रचण्डका लागि दुखद संकेत
- भारतले प्रचण्डलाई भन्यो: चीन नजाउ, रेल सम्झौता नगर !
- सरकारी कार्यालयमा तालाबन्दी, नेपाल सरकारको ठाउँमा मधेस सरकार
- ‘ओली जस्तै प्रचण्ड र देउवालाई पनि मधेशमा निषेध गर्छौ’-महतो
- ”आर.आर. र पि.एन. मा स्ववियु चुनाव गराउँछौं”
- गगन थापा मेयरमा उठ्ने, स्वास्थ्यमन्त्रीबाट राजीनामा दिने तयारी
- महानगरको नक्सापासमा भ्रष्टहरुको मार्चपास
- काँग्रेससँग पार्टी एकीकरण गर्दै विजय गच्छदार
- ‘मधेसमा समानान्तर सरकार चलाउछौं, निर्वाचन गरे देश रक्तपातमा डुब्छ’
- गच्छदारलाई महामन्त्री दिने देउवाको तयारी
- ६ दिने चीन भ्रमणमा रहेका प्रधानमन्त्री शुक्रबार बिहानैदेखि भेटघाटमा व्यस्त रहेका छन् । बोआओ...
- काठमाडौं: नेपाल विद्युत प्राधिकरणले तत्काल २ करोड थान एलइडी बल्ब आफ्ना ग्राहकलाई वितरण गर्ने...
- काठमाडौँ: पुरानो र लोकतान्त्रिक पार्टी कांग्रेसका सभापति शेरबहादुर देउवा आफ्नो दवावमा मन्त्रिपरिषदले गरेको प्रहरी...
- काठमाडौँ: सत्ता साझेदार प्रमुख दल नेपाली काँग्रेस र नेकपा माओवादी केन्द्र र राप्रपाबीच व्यवस्थापिका–संसदमा...
- सत्तारुढ नेकपा माओवादी केन्द्रले कञ्चनपुर गोलीकाण्डमा भारतले माफी माग्नुपर्ने निष्कर्ष निकालेको छ । यसैगरी...