At least 35 killed in New Year gun attack at Istanbul nightclub
At least one gunman shot his way into an Istanbul nightclub packed with hundreds of New Year’s revellers on Sunday, killing 35 people and wounding more than 40 in what the provincial governor described as a terrorist attack.
One assailant shot a police officer and a civilian as he entered the Reina nightclub before opening fire at random inside, Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said at the scene. Some reports suggested there were multiple attackers.
“A terrorist with a long-range weapon … brutally and savagely carried out this attack by firing bullets on innocent people who were there solely to celebrate the New Year and have fun,” Sahin told reporters.
The attack again shook Turkey as it tries to recover from a failed July coup and a series of deadly bombings in cities including Istanbul and the capital Ankara, some blamed on Islamic State and others claimed by Kurdish militants.
The club, one of Istanbul’s most iconic, popular with locals and foreigners alike, overlooks the Bosphorus Strait separating Europe and Asia in the city’s cosmopolitan Ortakoy district.
Around 500 to 600 people were thought to have been inside when the gunman opened fire at around 1:15 am (2230 GMT), broadcaster CNN Turk said. Some jumped into the waters of the Bosphorus to save themselves and were rescued by police.
US President Barack Obama, on vacation in Hawaii, expressed condolences and directed his team to offer help to the Turkish authorities, the White House said.
Sahin said there was only one attacker but other reports, including on social media, suggested there may have been at least two, dressed in Santa Claus costumes which they later ditched.
The Hurriyet newspaper cited witnesses as saying there were multiple attackers and that they shouted in Arabic.
“We were having fun. All of a sudden people started to run. My husband said don’t be afraid, and he jumped on me. People ran over me. My husband was hit in three places,” one club-goer, Sinem Uyanik, told the newspaper.
“I managed to push through and get out, it was terrible,” she said, describing seeing people soaked in blood and adding that there appeared to have been at least two gunmen.
- अन्नपूर्ण अस्पतालमा जन्मिएको पहिलो शिशु, जसले पाउनेछ आजिवन निशूल्क उपचार
- उडिरहेको नेपाल एयरलायन्सको जहाजभित्र बच्चाको जन्म
- सिद्धबाबा सडक मर्मत सुरु, दिनभर सवारी आवागमन बन्द रहने
- लिलामीमा राखिएको निगमको बोइङ बिबी एयरवेजले खरिद गर्ने
- मागपत्र बुझाउन गएका विद्यार्थीहरुमाथि हातपात, १ घण्टा कार्यकक्षमै थुनिए शिक्षामन्त्री
- गौचनको हत्या लगत्तै एक करोड डिमाण्डको धम्की सहित लामालाई फोन
- मुखभित्र घाउ आउने समस्याबाट हैरान हुनुहुन्छ ? अपनाउनुस् यी घरेलु उपाय
- संभवतःवाम गठवन्धनबाट बावुरामको वहिर्गमन
- किमलाई मार्ने प्लान ह्याक गर्यो उत्तरकोरियाले
- गौचन हत्याको कारण पैसाको लेनदेन रहेको निष्कर्षमा प्रहरी
- काठमाडाैं, सर्वोच्च अदालतले प्रतिनिधिसभा र प्रदेशसभा निर्वाचनका लागि अलगअलग मतपत्र हुनुपर्ने भन्दै दायर भएको...
- काठमाडौं,यमपञ्चकको दोस्रो दिन आज कुुकुर तिहार मनाइदै छ । कात्तिक कृष्ण चतुर्दशीका दिन कुकुरको...
- एसियन डेस्क, काँग्रेसले आफुलाई नेपाली राजनीतिक इतिहासको जेठो लोकतान्त्रिक शक्तिको दावी गर्दै आएपनि बेला...
- काठमाडौं, माओवादीको तर्फबाट देउवा सरकारमा नेतृत्व गरेका महराले पार्टीले निर्णय गरेको खण्डमा भने एक...
- काठमाडौं, प्रमुख प्रतिपक्षी दल नेकपा एमालेसँग वाम गठवन्धन गरेको माओवादी केन्द्रले अन्ततः सरकारबाट बाहिरिने...